Saturday, February 7, 2009

Movie Journal: The Ghost And Mr. Chicken

You know those cheezy movies you find on discount racks with a little gold bar along the top of the case containing something along the lines of "Golden Classics Collection"? And even more so, with an actor's name next to this proclamation? It's one thing when a DVD claims it's a classic, another when it capitalizes on an actor's name. The latter occasion can be real hit-and-miss when it comes to the quality of the movie in question.

Just recently I had the chance to see such a movie, called The Ghost And Mr. Chicken. The bar along the top of the case said "Comedy Classics". In betweeen those two words was the name "Don Knotts". Don Knotts is a funny guy. So, actually quite naturally, The Ghost And Mr. Chicken is a funny movie. In it Don Knotts plays a rather stereotypical reporter, who happens to be a hyperactive and blundering idiot. In his blunders and hyperactivity, he completely and unknowingly uncovers the secret behind an old murder long shrouded in mystery.

There were many things about the movie I didn't really understand. Actually, now that I think about it, it was only one thing. Tell me, why is it that beautiful woman in these movies always go for the idiotic and bumbling types? I honestly did not see what was drawing that woman to the main character. Also, come to think of another thing: what the heck was with that last twist? Did it tie into the rest of the plot at all? Didn't seem so to me. Just screwing with my mind perhaps? Well, it worked, because I thought and thought about exactly what it meant and I still have no clue.

Anywho, the movie works. But it's not a classic. Don't you believe it.

7 out of 10

No comments: