Monday, July 27, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Review

Right from the opening shot, I knew I was going to love this movie. It had this strange sense of genuine visual and emotional focus that all past films in the series have essentially lacked. Plus, it just knew how to do something every past installment lacked the guts for: the altering of the book's original storyline, if ever so slight.

Some may be thinking, "Isn't it bad enough that they can only adapt so much of the essential pieces of storyline in the book, but now they are altering some of the story's events completely?" But I wouldn't say that at all. While it's true that you are not going to find nearly the amount of material the book has in the film, it's really impressive how they've been able to fit all the paramount bits of storyline together as a cohesive whole within the two hours or so that the film runs. In addition, by altering some of the events, or rather the context in which they happen, certain aspects of the story have become much more cool and epic in feel. This is the very first Harry Potter film for which I can honestly say that I did, in many ways, greatly prefer it to the book.

Yes, you heard me right. There are some ways in which Harry Potter 6 is, in fact, better than the book. Even definitive.

Now, I know that the creators have taken a great risk, and that there are just as many praising this movie as accusing it of being unfaithful trash. I, for one, shall stand up for the fact that this film is, in fact, the greatest Harry Potter film yet.

9 out 10

No comments: