Sunday, July 26, 2009

Movie Journal: The Rock

The Rock is a film that has managed to surprise me on more than a few levels. The plot is engaging, the characters fascinating, and the action truly intense. For better or for worse.

My quarrel with the action in the film hasn't so much to do with it's intensity so much as there being just so darn much of it. For a greater part of the film I underwent an experience rather like that of having a variety of good yet filling treats being shoved into my mouth, often faster than I could properly chew.

Another issue the film seemed to have is that of the musical score, which happens to be, for the most part, very obnoxious. Maybe one of the reasons it was so much so was because of the fact that it never failed to adjoin the action sequences, of which there were undeniably many. In other words, the music rather got old, rather fast.

On the flip side, it is overall, a very intelligent story that sets out to bring to the viewers mind some very important issues that the leaders of every nation must at some point face. The Rock isn't so much a bad movie as an imperfect one.

7 out of 10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is definitely my favorite of Bay's film. I thought the action was awesome, the score fit well w/ the action. Cage was awesome in this film, but w/o a doubt Connery's was the best in this film. The plot was awesome(unusual for a Bay film). Overall I would give this film a 9 out of 10